Math Teacher Web Sites
These sites are designed primarily for teacher use and full class demonstration.
Sites for Students are sites for individual student use.
BVSD Middle School Math Curriculum Support Materials
Middle School Topics...
- Rapping Mathematician - Number Line Dance where positive and negative numbers are on the number line and an example of borrowing money as negative (YouTube)
- Witches Brew - Freudenthal application for teaching adding an subtracting integers
- Casey the Runner - this application uses a runner on a number line running forward or backward depending on whether you are adding or subtracting. For addition, the runner faces in the positive direction. For subtraction, the runner faces in the negative direction. A positive integer means the runner runs forward. A negative integer means the runner runs backwards. In this way you can demonstrate why, for example, subtracting a negative gives a larger number. Note that when you mouse over the "+" or "-" the runner switches directions.
- Don't be Negative about Negative Signs rap - good intro. Don't like the way they do some of it, but the multiplication and division part in 2nd half is fine.
- Adding Integers blues song - may appeal to boys.... ("adding integers is like a war, the one that has more wins the war....)
the Real Number System Scroll down to the diagram of the number system - useful for showing the "nested" nature of the real number system.
- Integer links from adding through subtracting, multiplying, dividing and then order of operations review.
- Adding Integers
- Subtracting Integers
- Adding and Subtracting Integers
- Multiplying Integers
- Order of Operations
Ratio and Proportion
Data and Statistics
- Scientific Notation
- Number Theory / History
- Connected Math Resources
- Pi Day Resources
- Cool Teacher Sites
- BBC KS3 Bitesize - algebra, data,
- IXL - WOW! look at all of this math stuff!
- Learn With Math Games
- Good online warm-up activities
Illuminations (cool math ed activities)
Institute - cool applets
- National Lab of Virtual Manipulatives
Interactive - cool applets Click on
applets in the first paragraph
- Futures Channel This website features short video clips of people talking about their professions that relate to math, science and technology. The video clips all have content-based activities that go with them. (Now requires a membership for all but the current video.)
- ThinkFinity.com Lesson plans and educational activities with an excellent searching / sorting tool
- Sciene, Math, Technology, Engineering projects with real data, some collaborative with other schools. Provided by Stevens Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education (CIESE)
- Math is Fun!
- Math Tools from the Math Forum - technology and math tools, lessons, activities etc.
- Figure This! is a web site (from NCTM) with math challenges for the whole family - and is available in Spanish also.
- Lee's Summit School District online math resources
- Measure the Circumference of the Earth - work with other students around the world to measure the earth
- Expert Voices Famous Math Problems - - the Bridges of Konigsburg, approximating pi and other famous problems (mathforum)
- BBC Math Games check out Viral Vinny!
- Animated, interactive math dictionary
- Mathwords - dictionary for older elementary starting with Algebra terms
- Powers of 10
- Math for Morons Like Us - the title is insulting, but the information, in a notes style format, is good. There are also interactive quizzes at the end of each topic that would be great for a warmMMS up or exit ticket activity. The content starts with Pre-Algebra
- PBS 6-8 Math teacher resources
- How Stuff Works has some videos on how some math stuff works - like the order of operations
- Amby's Online Math Resources - quite a variety of resources, and beyond math, however some of the links are no longer active. Good order of operations tutorial. The tutorials are good because they give immediate feedback.
- Fun Math Facts - this is a cool web site from Harvey Mudd College that has interesting and challenging math facts. Facts can be searched using difficulty level and in categories such as number theory, algebra, probability, combinatorics, geometry etc.
- Download Graph Paper - including number lines!
Planet Math Resources
Drill.com (free worksheets)
Middle School Resources
- Engineering Videos
- Interactive Math
(for teachers and secondary math students)
- Exemplary Resources in Math History (for middle school)
- Math League
- On This Day in Math - see what happened on this day in mathematics
- Connecting Middle School Math and Art - exemplary sites
- Sites for
Cartoons mostly somewhat advanced
- Math Rap.com CD for purchase with math raps
Consortium Free Software
Acquainted and Name Games
- Who Needs Math? rap Don't show this without looking at it - towards the end there is a shot that is derogatory to woman, but you might want to use the first part of it.
- Math Problems - Native Alaska Style For some cultural variety in your math problems - see this site for math problems written for Native children about their own culture.
- The Fun Works is a web site where students can explore careers and can search by topic (science, math, engineering etc.)
- MathCounts Problem of the Week
- Index of various problem of the week websites
Fun Math-Related Stuff
Web Page by Libby Black.